Zeilinger, Melanie, Prof. Dr.
Melanie Zeilinger is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Mechanical and Process Engineering at ETH Zurich, where she is leading the Intelligent Control Systems group at the Institute for Dynamic Systems and Control. She received the diploma in Engineering Cybernetics from the University of Stuttgart in Germany in 2006 and the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from ETH Zurich in 2011. Her PhD thesis was awarded the ETH medal. From 2011-2012 she was a postdoctoral fellow at the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland. From 2012 to 2015 she was a Postdoctoral Researcher and Marie Curie fellow in a joint program with the University of California at Berkeley, USA, and the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems in Tuebingen, Germany.
Academic and Professional Activities
- SNF Assistant Professorship Grant: "Safety and Performance for Human in the Loop Control". 2015-2019.
- Marie-Curie International Outgoing Fellowship: "Control for Green Energy-Efficient Technologies". 2012-2015.
Organizing Committee Member
- Workshop on Dynamic Locomotion and Manipulation, ETH Zurich, 2016
- Workshop Chair, Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI'16)
- Learning Control Workshop, Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, 2015
I routinely review journal papers for IEEE TAC, Automatica, IEEE TCST, SCL, JPROCONT, as well as papers for various conferences (CDC, ACC, ECC, IFAC WC, AISTATS, ICML).
Selected Invited Talks
- Seminar. University of Freiburg; 2016.
- Workshop on Robust Optimization-Based Control and Planning for Legged Robots. ICRA, Stockholm, Sweden; 2016.
- Research Seminar. ABB Corporate Research, Baden-Dättwil, Switzerland; 2016.
- Distributed MPC Workshop. EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland; 2016.
- Learning Control Workshop. Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Tuebingen, Germany; 2015.
- Control Seminar. ETH Zurich, Switzerland; 2015.
- Seminar. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, USA; 2015.
- Seminar. Department of Mechanical Engineering, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland; 2015.
- Seminar. Viterbi School of Engineering, University of Southern California, USA; 2015.
- Mechanical and Civil Engineering Seminar. California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, USA; 2015.
- Seminar. Institute for Automation Engineering, Otto-von-Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany; 2015.
- Seminar. Department of Mechanical Engineering, UC Berkeley, USA; 2013.
- CPSgames seminar. Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, UC Berkeley, USA; 2013.
- TechTalk. Georgia Tech, Atlanta, USA; 2013.
- LCCC Seminar, Lund Center for Control of Complex Engineering Systems. Lund University, Sweden; 2012.
- Seminar. Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Germany; 2011.
- Seminar. Department of Mechanical Engineering, UC Berkeley, USA; 2009.
Awards & Honors
- Participant Rising Stars in EECS -- By-invitation-only workshop (40 participants selected US wide). 2014.
- ETH Medal -- Awarded to the top 8\% of Ph.D. dissertations at ETH Zurich. 2011.
- General Chairs' Recognition Award for Interactive Papers, IEEE Conference on Decision and Control. 2009.
- 3rd prize of the BFG'09 Best Talk Award, Belgian-French-German (BFG) Conference on Optimization. 2009.
- Professor-Peter-Sagirow Award -- For an outstanding diploma in the undergraduate program Engineering Cybernetics. 2007.
- Pre-diploma Award -- For outstanding pre-diploma results (average 1.0) in the undergraduate program Engineering Cybernetics. 2003.