Schoellig, Angela, Prof. Dr.
Prof. Dr. Angela Schoellig
In 2013 I was appointed Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies (UTIAS) in Canada, where I founded the Dynamic Systems Lab. Please visit www.schoellig.name for updates in the future. Stay connected!
Angela P. Schoellig is pursuing her PhD in engineering with Professor Raffaello D’Andrea at the Institute for Dynamic Systems and Control (IDSC) at ETH Zurich, Switzerland. Her research focuses on (cooperative) learning in autonomous systems and on investigating the benefits of information sharing in this context. Recent applications of iterative learning include flying robots that learn to follow a predefined trajectory. Angela is currently also working on a rhythmic flight performance with multiple aerial robots. Showing cutting-edge mathematics in action and sharing scientific knowledge in a public context are important facets of her work.
Angela received her M.Sc. in Engineering Science and Mechanics from the Georgia Institute of Technology (USA) in 2007 and her graduate degree in Engineering Cybernetics from the University of Stuttgart (Germany) in 2008. Her past research experience includes topics such as optimal control of hybrid systems and dynamics of networked systems with communication delays. She has also worked at the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (Germany), where she developed distributed estimation and control methods for satellites. For her graduate studies, Angela received scholarships from the German National Academic Foundation, the Cusanuswerk, and the German Academic Exchange Service. She was finalist of the 2008 IEEE Fellowship in Robotics and Automation, which supports students who are expected to have a significant impact on the future of robotics and automation. Her research interests lie in the area of system dynamics, learning and control. Full CV (03/2012)
- My Youtube channel can be found here.
- Swiss Association of Aeronautical Sciences (SVFW), Zurich, Switzerland, "Enabling quadrocopters to learn from repetition," Annual Meeting, Sep 2011.
- Autonomous Systems Lab (ASL), ETH Zurich, Switzerland, "Coordination and synchronization for a rhythmic flight performance," Robotics Summer School on Autonomous Micro Aerial Vehicles: Design, Perception, and Control, Jul 2011.
- American Control Conference (ACC), San Francisco, USA, "Flying robots on stage—control and learning for aerial acrobatics," Special Education Session: Emerging Control Education Issues, Plain Talks on Systems & Control for a Wide Range of the Public, Jun 2011.
- Information Systems Laboratory, Stanford University, USA, "Control and learning for aerial vehicles—where optimization is required," Internal Seminar, Jun 2011.
- IEEE Control and Decision Conference (CDC), Atlanta, USA, "Flying Robots on Stage—Control and Learning for Aerial Acrobatics," Pre-Conference Workshop for High School Students and Teachers on `The Ideas and Technology of Control Systems’, Dec 2010.
- Lund Center for Control of Complex Engineering Systems (LCCC), Lund University, Sweden, "Synchronizing Motion to Music—A Rhythmic Flight Performance," Workshop on Adaptation and Learning in Autonomous Systems, Apr 2010.
- Lund Center for Control of Complex Engineering Systems (LCCC), Lund University, Sweden, "Optimization-Based Learning," LCCC Seminar, Apr 2010.
- Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Brisbane, Australia, "Learning Through Experience—Improving Performance by Repetition," Smart Systems Seminar, Jan 2010.
- Automatic Control Laboratory (IfA), ETH Zürich, Switzerland, "Optimal Control of Hybrid Systems with Regional Dynamics," IfA Seminar, Jan 2008.
Some publications are complemented by additional material such as Matlab and Mathematica files; found under Downloads for Multi-Agent Iterative Learning Control and Music in Motion.
- A.P. Schoellig, F. L. Mueller and R. D’Andrea. "Optimization-based iterative learning for precise quadrocopter trajectory tracking." Autonomous Robots, 2012, submitted.
- A.P. Schoellig, C. Wiltsche and R. D’Andrea. "Feed-forward parameter identification for precise periodic quadrocopter motions." American Control Conference, 2012, submitted.
- A.P. Schoellig and R. D'Andrea. "Sensitivity of Joint Estimation in Multi-Agent Iterative Learning Control." IFAC World Congress, 2011, page 1204-1212.
- A.P. Schoellig, M. Hehn, S. Lupashin and R. D'Andrea. "Feasibility of Motion Primitives for Choreographed Quadrocopter Flight." American Control Conference (ACC), 2011, page 3843–3849.
- S. Lupashin, A.P. Schoellig, M. Hehn and R. D’Andrea. "The Flying Machine Arena as of 2010." IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation – Video Submission, 2011, page 2970–2971.
- A.P. Schoellig, J. Alonso-Mora and R. D'Andrea. "Limited Benefit of Joint Estimation in Multi-Agent Iterative Learning." Asian Journal of Control - Special Issue on Iterative Learning Control, 2010, accepted.
- A.P. Schoellig, J. Alonso-Mora and R. D'Andrea. "Independent vs. Joint Estimation in Multi-Agent Iterative Learning Control." IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2010, page 6949-6954.
- A.P. Schoellig, F. Augugliaro and R. D'Andrea. "A Platform for Dance Performances with Multiple Quadrocopters." IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems - Workshop on Robots and Musical Expressions, 2010, page 1-8.
- A.P. Schoellig, F. Augugliaro, S. Lupashin and R. D'Andrea. "Synchronizing the Motion of a Quadrocopter to Music." IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2010, page 3355-3360.
- S. Lupashin, A.P. Schoellig, M. Sherback and R. D’Andrea, "A Simple Learning Strategy for High-Speed Quadrocopter Multi-Flips." IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2010, page 1642-1648.
- A.P. Schoellig and R. D'Andrea, "Optimization-Based Iterative Learning Control for Trajectory Tracking." European Control Conference, 2009, page 1505-1510.
- P.F. Gath, D. Weise, Th. Heinrich, A.P. Schoellig and S. Otte (EADS Astrium GmbH Satellites, 88039 Friedrichshafen, Germany). "Verifikation der Leistungsfähigkeit ausgewählter Untersysteme für die LISA Mission." Deutscher Luft- und Raumfahrtkongress, German Society for Aeronautics and Astronautics (DGLR), 2008.
- A.P. Schoellig, U. Münz and F. Allgöwer. "Topology-Dependent Stability of a Network of Dynamical Systems with Communication Delays." European Control Conference, 2007, page 1197–1202.
- A.P. Schoellig, P.E. Caines, M. Egerstedt and R.P. Malhamé, "A Hybrid Bellman Equation for Systems with Regional Dynamics." IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2007, pp. 3393–3398.
- P.E. Caines, M. Egerstedt, R.P. Malhamé and A.P. Schoellig, "A Hybrid Bellman Equation for Bimodal Systems." Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control, vol. 4416 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, page 656–659. Springer-Verlag, 2007.
- Dynamic Programming and Optimal Control, Fall 2012, Lecturer
- Recursive Estimation, Spring 2011, Teaching Assistant
- Recursive Filtering and Estimation, Spring 2010, Teaching Assistant
- Dynamic Programming and Optimal Control, Fall 2009, Teaching Assistant
- Dynamic Programming and Optimal Control, Fall 2008, Teaching Assistant